American Management Association Seminars
Select date/location & complete form below. Then, click on 'Send'
FUNDAMENTALS OF HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT
Seminar No: 08506 -XNBB
CEU Credits: 1.8
Length: 3 days
Recessionary working environments. Heightened levels of competition and insecurity.
Whether you've just been promoted to HR management or you're new to the profession, this seminar has it all for you! It's where you'll get the confidence and the know-how you need to succeed back on the job. You’ll participate in role-playing and group exercises that let you "try on" the new HR roles you will be taking on and you’ll explore real-life case studies...get the feedback and guidance you need to tailor the new techniques you’ll be learning to your individual needs...network with your peers and find out firsthand what’s really happening in the trenches...develop a customed-tailored action plan for your career growth by auditing your present skills and analyzing them with your seminar leader.
New HR professionals (with less than three years of experience), HR specialists who have limited generalist experience and professionals who want to learn more about the human resources function.
How You Will Benefit:
- Discover ways to save time and money by screening applicants before bringing them in for an interview
- See what a well-written training objective can do--and get top-flight results from your training activities
- Build a measurable, results-based performance management system
- Advise your company's supervisors to avoid EEO complaints
- Put today's technology to work for you
- Balance your role as spokesperson for management and employees
- Discover how the latest trends in benefits plans can save money
- Learn why employees may be attracted to unions
What You Will Cover:
- HR planning and administration: How to integrate your planning with your organization's business objectives...how to identify and plan for your company's human resources needs
- Staffing guidelines: How to set up a simple, effective recruiting system
- How to choose training and development programs that work for you
- Information systems: An overview
- The components of a cost-effective employee benefits program
- Compensation: How to keep your compensation program within your payroll budget...how to establish salary rates and ranges...how to keep your program up-to-date and competitive
- Employee relations: Managing employee relations effectively Note: Each session will cover employment law, employee benefits and human resources information systems.
People who took this seminar were also interested in:
Other HR Seminars
How to Write and Affirmative Action Plan
Recruiting, Interviewing and Selecting Employees
Training the Trainer
Other Seminars to Improve Your Skills
Coaching and Counseling for Outstanding Job Performance
Improving Your Project Management Skills
Getting Results Without Authority
Cross-Functional Communications: Strategies for Workplace Effectiveness
The Effective Facilitator
Strategies for Developing Effective Presentation Skills
Management Skills for New Managers
Extended/Detailed Seminar Outline
Human Resources Challenges
- Discover Ways to Save Time and Money by Screening Applicants before Bringing Them in for an Interview
- See What a Well-Written Training Objective Can Do-and Get Top-Flight Results from Your Training Activities
- Build a Measurable, Results-Based Performance Management System
- Train Your Company’s Supervisors to Avoid EEO Complaints
- Put Today’s Technology to Work for You
- Balance Your Role as Spokesperson for Management and Employees
- Discover How the Latest Trends in Benefits Plans Can Save Money
- Learn Why Employees May Be Attracted to Unions
The Human Resources Function: An Overview
- Identify the Components of Workplace Diversity
- Prepare for Projected Changes Concerning Tomorrow’s Workforce
- Define Who Contingency Workers Are and How They Fit in with an Organization’s Staffing Plan
- Screen Potential Employees for Basic Literacy
- Differentiate between the Benefits and Drawbacks of Alternative Work Arrangements
Human Resources and Legal Issues
- Describe the History and Projected Future of Personnel/Human Resources
- Identify the Basic Composition of a Human Resources Department
- Distinguish between the Respective Responsibilities of HR Specialists and Non-HR Practitioners
The Employment Process
- Anticipate Key Equal Employment Opportunity Legislation and Assess Their Impact on the Employment Process
- Distinguish between Two Types of Sexual Harassment
- Define and Cite Examples of Bona Fide Occupational Qualification
- Avoid and Respond to Workplace Discrimination Lawsuits
- The Doctrine of Termination-at-Will
- Recognize the Impact That Negligent Hiring and Retention May Have on Your Organization
Pre-employment and Employment Testing
- Recognize Ten Aspects of a Job’s Specifications and Prepare Definitive Job Descriptions
- Select from a Host of Traditional and Creative Recruitment Sources
- Identify Advantages and Disadvantages of the Internet as a Recruitment Source
- Distinguish between Five Interview Questioning Techniques That Will Result in Acquiring the Most Useful Information
- Write Effective Employment Interview Documentation
- Conduct Fruitful Reference Checks
- Design an Effective New Employee Orientation Program
- Glean Useful Information from Exit Interviews
- Apply Information from the Latest Studies on Workplace Testing
- Articulate the Advantages and Disadvantages of Workplace Testing
- Establish a Valid Testing Program
- Identify Different Types of Pre-employment and Employment Tests
- Identify the Characteristics of an Effective Compensation Program
- Distinguish Various Job Evaluation Methods
- Select from an Array of Comprehensive Compensation Programs
- Articulate the Objectives and Uses of Performance Management
- Identify the Components of an Effective Performance Management Plan
- Apply Various Performance Management Methods to Your Workplace
- Conduct Productive Performance Management Meetings with Employees
- Identify Benefits Trends over the Past Forty Years
- Offer Appealing Healthcare Choices to Employees
- Distinguish between Varying Types of Pension Plans
- Evaluate Stock Options as a Viable Employee Benefit
- Select from a Host of Typical Offerings
- Evaluate a Potential Insurance Carrier
- Prepare for Ongoing Benefits Planning
- Provide a Comprehensive Employee Assistance Program for Workers
Employee Training and Development
- Identify Those Factors Involved in Maintaining Good Employee Relations and Recognize the Consequence of Not Practicing Effective Employee Relations
- Establish Grievance and Disciplinary Procedures
- Use Alternative Dispute Resolution as a Way to Offset Costly Litigation
- Write Policies and Procedures Manuals and Employee Handbooks
- Provide an Environment in Which Employer/Employee Communication Is Maximized
- Practice Improving Talent Retention
Human Resource Information Systems (HRIS)
- Describe the Role of Training and Development in Organizations Today
- Contrast Directed Training with Non-directed Training
- Implement Web-based Distance Training
- Evaluate the Effectiveness of Training
- Prepare a Tuition Reimbursement Plan
Strategic Human Resources Management Planning
- Define the Uses and Objectives of HRIS
- Select an HRIS
- Relate Privacy and Security Issues to Your Organization
- Assess Software Modification Needs
- Define the Purpose and Sequential Process of HR Planning
- Implement Succession Planning
- Use Mentoring as a Technique for Succession Planning and Acceleration Pools
- Develop a Career Development Model
Start and End times: first day - 8:30am-5pm, all other days 9am-5pm unless otherwise specified. Your registration confirmation notice will confirm the hotel/conference center for the seminar for which you registered. The information included on this page is all the information available on this seminar. Please use form below to register only. To request information that is not included above please send an email to
. Remember to specify the complete seminar number about which you are requesting information.
For information about bringing a course to your site please call 919-480-2550 or email the registry at
If this course or the dates/locations below do not have what you are looking for, then click here and we will find it for you right away. It will save you a lot of time and energy finding it yourself.
** Online Registration & Fee Information ** Please use form below to register only. To request information that is not included above please send an email to
. Remember to specify the complete seminar number about which you are requesting information.
After submitting your online registration you will receive registration confirmation and invoice within 7-10 business days. You may pay by credit card or check. Confirmation information will also include location and other pertinent course information.
Always state priority code XNBB to your customer service representative when registering directly by phone.
Note: Prices are subject to change without notice. To confirm the price of your session, select the session above and click “Send”. Discounts apply for groups of three or more people. Call for details. Federal government employees are eligible for special GSA pricing for many seminars.
AMA's main conference centers
Seminars scheduled for the cities below are held at the locations listed below. For location information for other cities in which AMA seminars are held please call or email for information.
AMA executive Conference Center
1601 Broadway New York, NY 10019
American Management Association (Located in the same building as the Crowne Plaza Hotel) 1601 Broadway On Broadway and 48th Street near Times Square. Entrance is on 48th Street.
AMA executive Conference Center (adjacent to the Marroitt O'Hare)
8655 west higgins rd
Chicago, IL 60631
AMA executive Conference Center is located in San Francisco Marriott Hotel
55 Fourth Street 2nd Level
San Francisco, CA 94103
AMA Executive Conference Center
Address: 1170 Peachtree Street Ne Cnr Peachtree & 14th (3rd Flr)
City, State, Zip: Atlanta, GA 30309
2345 Crystal Drive, Suite 200
Arlington, VA 22202
If you are not paying via credit card, you will receive an invoice with payment instructions.
If you cannot attend a seminar you can contact AMA in advance to transfer to a future session, or you can send someone to take your place. If you need to cancel your attendance, AMA will give you a complete refund if you cancel more than three weeks before your seminar begins. To cancel, simply email us at
. If you cancel with less than three weeks’ advance notice, you will be liable for the entire seminar fee. Once your payment has been received, you may request a courtesy transfer to use at any future AMA seminar of equal or lesser length. The courtesy transfer must be used within one year of the date of your originally scheduled seminar. In fairness to all attendees, if you do not attend a seminar session for which you are confirmed and do not contact AMA to cancel in advance, you will be charged the entire seminar fee.
AMA grants courtesy transfers to people who cannot attend their scheduled sessions. You can use a courtesy transfer for any seminar of equal or lesser length than the original seminar. You must use your courtesy transfer within one year of the date of your originally scheduled seminar.
AMA guarantees the quality of our seminars. If, for any reason, you are not satisfied with a seminar for which you have paid, AMA will give you credit toward another seminar of comparable price or will refund your fee.
You can also register by emailing your registration information to us at
or calling us at 919-480-2550.