American Management Association Seminars
Select date/location & complete form below. Then, click on 'Send'
Tools And Techniques For Thinking And Managing Strategically
Seminar No: 02530 -XNBB
CEU Credits: 1.8
Length: 3 days
Now that you’ve learned the planning, take this companion course and learn how to apply specific tools and techniques within the process to deepen your firm’s capability to create strategy.
Are you responsible for developing strategy in your organization? Do you need to jump-start your planning process? Is your firm leading the change in your industry? Or following and falling behind?
This seminar introduces additional depth of knowledge and specific "how tos" to the individual who is charged with leading, facilitating or participating in strategy formation.
Those who are tasked with creating strategy in their firm or business unit. Executives who want to expand their basic skills in organizing information into strategic knowledge. Executives who want to expand their skills and understanding of how strategic patterns are identified and impacted. Past attendees of AMA’s Strategic Planning.
How You Will Benefit:
- Look beyond the seven-factor environmental analysis to determine what truly has an impact on your strategy
- Understand the impact of your industry on your business and the effect of industry maturity on your strategy
- Analyze the core processes for efficiency
- Establish core competencies within your organization
What You Will Cover:
- Which tools and techniques can be applied at different stages of the planning process
- How to create a purposeful organizational vision
- Methods to generate a strategic landscape within your industry and firm
- How to recognize your company’s landscape and successfully anticipate potential change
- Learning patterns of strategy and applying them to your industry and firm
- Approaches to track and drive strategic growth within your company
- How to harness the intuitive power of your management team for strategic success
- Learning the key steps of implementing strategy and managing for emergent opportunities
Extended/Detailed Seminar Outline
- Look beyond the Seven-Factor Environmental Analysis to Determine What Truly Impacts Your Strategy
- Understand the Impact of Your Industry on Your Business and the Effect of Industry Maturity on Your Strategy
- Develop Insight into Your Organization’s Culture, Managerial Style, and Strengths and Weaknesses
- Analyze the Core Processes for Efficiency
- Establish Core Competencies within Your Organization
- Define Core Strategies and Then Align External and Internal Strategies for Maximum Impact
- Examine the Emerging Views of Current Planning and Thinking and How They Relate to Your Organization
- Identify Specific Trends within Each of the Seven Factors That Help or Hurt Your Organization and Define Results/Responses to These Trends
- Understand the Kinds of Questions to Ask and Potential Sources of Information That Will Answer Your Questions
- Cull down the List of Trends to the Most Important Ones for Your Organization-The Possible Results/Responses Will Become Preliminary Assumptions on Which You Will Base Your Plan or Apply More Sophisticated Analytical Techniques for Better Understanding
- Ask the Questions That Must Be Answered in Order to Understand the Industry in Which Your Firm Operates
- Explain How the Five Industry Forces Influence a Firm’s Potential Profitability
- Suggest Appropriate Responses to a Particular Industry Configuration
- Apply This Analysis to Your Industry
- Define the Types of Situations Where Scenario Building and Simulation Development Can Be Most Useful
- Identify the Key Variables That Are Likely to Drive an Organization in the Future
- Work through the Organizational Implications of Various Scenarios
Key Business Analyses
- Determine When Diagnostic Instruments Are Appropriate
- Decide Which Organizational and Strategic Dimensions Should Be Included in a Diagnostic
- Explain What Kinds of Results Can Be Expected from a Diagnostic
- Identify What Parts of an Organization Might Lend Themselves to an Analysis
- Determine What Kind of Analysis Is Possible Based on the Reporting System in Use
- Understand the Timing of the Analysis and How It Relates to the Planning Process
- Describe the Important Elements of Business Processes
- Describe the Characteristics of a Good Process
- Identify Your Organization’s Core Processes
- Define and Document the Various Processes and Activities That Flow from the Core Processes across the Organization
- Explain How to Identify and Qualify Customer Requirements
- Outline the Differences between Continuous Improvement, Process Redesign, and Reengineering
- Read an I/P Matrix and Understand Its Strategic Implications
- Specify the Questions That Need to Be Asked If Market Research Is Conducted
- Construct an I/P Matrix
- Define What Competitive Positioning Is
- Use Competitive Advantages to Build a Position
- Determine Which Elements within Executional Strategies Create and Deliver Positioning
- Explain When a GE/McKinsey or a BCG Growth-Share Matrix Is Used
- Use a GE/McKinsey or a BCG Growth-Share Matrix to Determine the Relative Health of a Firm’s Products/Services in Current and Future Markets
- Suggest Strategic Responses Which Might Be Made to Given Positions on the Matrix
- Differentiate between Core Competencies and Competitive Advantages
- Identify an Organization’s Core Competencies
- Explain the Relationship between Core Competencies and Strategy Development
Start and End times: first day - 8:30am-5pm, all other days 9am-5pm unless otherwise specified. Your registration confirmation notice will confirm the hotel/conference center for the seminar for which you registered. The information included on this page is all the information available on this seminar. Please use form below to register only. To request information that is not included above please send an email to
. Remember to specify the complete seminar number about which you are requesting information.
For information about bringing a course to your site please call 919-480-2550 or email the registry at
If this course or the dates/locations below do not have what you are looking for, then click here and we will find it for you right away. It will save you a lot of time and energy finding it yourself.
** Online Registration & Fee Information ** Please use form below to register only. To request information that is not included above please send an email to
. Remember to specify the complete seminar number about which you are requesting information.
After submitting your online registration you will receive registration confirmation and invoice within 7-10 business days. You may pay by credit card or check. Confirmation information will also include location and other pertinent course information.
Always state priority code XNBB to your customer service representative when registering directly by phone.
Note: Prices are subject to change without notice. To confirm the price of your session, select the session above and click “Send”. Discounts apply for groups of three or more people. Call for details. Federal government employees are eligible for special GSA pricing for many seminars.
AMA's main conference centers
Seminars scheduled for the cities below are held at the locations listed below. For location information for other cities in which AMA seminars are held please call or email for information.
AMA executive Conference Center
1601 Broadway New York, NY 10019
American Management Association (Located in the same building as the Crowne Plaza Hotel) 1601 Broadway On Broadway and 48th Street near Times Square. Entrance is on 48th Street.
AMA executive Conference Center (adjacent to the Marroitt O'Hare)
8655 west higgins rd
Chicago, IL 60631
AMA executive Conference Center is located in San Francisco Marriott Hotel
55 Fourth Street 2nd Level
San Francisco, CA 94103
AMA Executive Conference Center
Address: 1170 Peachtree Street Ne Cnr Peachtree & 14th (3rd Flr)
City, State, Zip: Atlanta, GA 30309
2345 Crystal Drive, Suite 200
Arlington, VA 22202
If you are not paying via credit card, you will receive an invoice with payment instructions.
If you cannot attend a seminar you can contact AMA in advance to transfer to a future session, or you can send someone to take your place. If you need to cancel your attendance, AMA will give you a complete refund if you cancel more than three weeks before your seminar begins. To cancel, simply email us at
. If you cancel with less than three weeks’ advance notice, you will be liable for the entire seminar fee. Once your payment has been received, you may request a courtesy transfer to use at any future AMA seminar of equal or lesser length. The courtesy transfer must be used within one year of the date of your originally scheduled seminar. In fairness to all attendees, if you do not attend a seminar session for which you are confirmed and do not contact AMA to cancel in advance, you will be charged the entire seminar fee.
AMA grants courtesy transfers to people who cannot attend their scheduled sessions. You can use a courtesy transfer for any seminar of equal or lesser length than the original seminar. You must use your courtesy transfer within one year of the date of your originally scheduled seminar.
AMA guarantees the quality of our seminars. If, for any reason, you are not satisfied with a seminar for which you have paid, AMA will give you credit toward another seminar of comparable price or will refund your fee.
You can also register by emailing your registration information to us at
or calling us at 919-480-2550.