National Seminars Group
a division of Rockhurst University Continuing Education Center
This seminar is offered onsite only. The descriptions and outlines specified below are examples of the topics covered in this seminar. Actual seminar content will depend on your organization's needs. Of course, we customize the seminar's content to meet the specific needs of your organization.
The Essentials of Effective Communication!
An essentail one-day workshop for all professionals! Fill your organization with top-notch communicators, and the sky’s the limit to what you can achieve!
What is it that distinguishes certain employees? Why do
they get noticed, heard (and promoted)? Its their communication
skills. We dont often think about how were communicating so
sometimes we dont know the effect we have on other people and cant
see ourselves as others see us. Could you be sending out messages you
dont intend to give? Sharpening your communication skills is the
best thing you can do for your company and your career.
Double your communication effectiveness
- Learn the power of communication and its effect on
- Exude a positive image through your communication
- End the I should have said syndrome with
fast thinking and
speaking on your feet skills
- Be able to say exactly what you mean and be understood
- Understanding peoples cues so you know what
their true message is
- Stop feeling uncomfortable when dealing with other
Send out the right message
- Meet new people easily
- Turn adversaries into friends
- Reduce self-consciousness
- Influence discussions to the outcome you want
- Learn to give constructive criticism
- Replace giving orders with giving encouragement
This seminar will help you identify your strengths and
build on them. You wont be trying to do anything phony. Youll
walk away with communication confidence and feel more positive and at
ease at every encounter.
So dont waste valuable career time, enroll today.
See you at the seminar,
Senior Workshop Leader
Powerful Ways Youll Benefit from Becoming a More
- Youll speak clearly and confidently
Imagine how much better your life will be when your every message is
so clear and concise that no one misunderstands you ever again!
No more miscommunications with your boss, coworkers, or loved ones.
Youll give clear directions, deliver constructive feedback, present
your ideas effectively and be seen as a confident communicator.
- Solve problems quickly.
Good communicators are also good problem-solvers its a
fact. Thats because good communicators know how to ask the right
questions to get to the root of whats REALLY the problem, then
work with others to find solutions. When you strengthen your communication
skills, youll be amazed at how much easier problem-solving becomes.
- Handle verbal disagreements and confrontation with
When your communication skills arent strong, verbal disagreements
can be literally gut-wrenching. this workshop provides
you with scripts from what to say to when to say
it for common workplace situations where disagreements can occur.
Youll also learn an easy formula for conflict resolution, so you
can head off ugly exchanges.
- Youll build instant rapport with everyone
A few communication tricks is all it takes to build instant rapport
with new people and to steadily improve relationships with people
you already know. Youll learn how to make small talk naturally
and easily with strangers, how to give sincere praise and how to communicate
in a way that makes everyone you speak with feel valued and special.
- Youll negotiate for what you want with a
Negotiating can be tough, even for seasoned communicators until
you know the secrets professional negotiators use! Youll learn
step by step how to ask what the other party wants, how to discover
their arguments, how to find common ground and how to come up with a
win-win solution that leaves everyone smiling.
- Gain confidence and lose stress!
As you apply the communication skills youll learn, youll
notice that your confidence level grows with each successful exchange.
Whats more, the stress and frustration you once felt -- because
of misunderstandings caused by miscommunication will drain away
as you feel less like a victim and more like an influencer in your workplace.
- Youll listen actively and double your
Listening is the most powerful, and most neglected, communication tool
available to us. Which is why we devote a whole section of this workshop
to helping you become a truly skilled listener. Youll learn how
to use attentive silence to draw out information from others and how
to read body language to hear what the other person is really
- Youll say yes or no
only when you really mean it.
Once you learn the basics of assertive communication and get
time to master them in practice sessions in the workshop youll
feel ready to speak up calmly and professionally when youre being
taken advantage of. Youll find out how to say no without
feeling guilty and how to assert your rights when youre treated
- Speak effectively off the cuff.
Never again will you be caught off-guard, without an appropriate response!
Youll learn the secrets to speaking on your feet,
as well as tricks for buying time to get your thoughts together. As
your confidence in your communication skills grows, youll find
yourself more and more at ease in situations that once made you uncomfortable.
- Youll enjoy your job more and enjoy
more job success.
Strong communication skills will make your job vastly more enjoyable!
No more squabbles, anger or hurt feelings over miscommunication. No
more costly redo because directions werent followed. As your communication
skills grow, so will your influence in the workplace, your credibility
in the eyes of top management and your career success!
- Managers, supervisors and executives
- Administrative professionals
- HR staff
- Customer service managers and reps
- Team leaders
- Business Owners, CEOs and VPs
- Sales personnel
- Front desk professionals
- Help desk staff
- Government and nonprofit employees
- Healthcare professionals
- IT professionals
- Security staff
- And any professional who wants to communicate with
and Building on Your Communication Strengths
- Why top-notch communication skills are more crucial
than ever in todays changing workplace
- Understanding how cultural, generational and gender
differences can impact communication
- Analyzing various communication styles and recognizing
- Tips for communicating effectively with those whose
style differs from yours
- Identifying your communication strengths and weaknesses
and learning how to capitalize on your plusses
- 10 major communication mistakes that can damage your
career and how to avoid them
- PRACTICE SESSION: Introductions for a dynamic first
Communication: Your Ticket to Getting Your Point Across with Confidence
- Recognizing the difference between assertive communication
and aggressive communication
- Assertiveness 101: Basic techniques for assertive,
- Light-weight speech habits and patterns sure to undermine
- Words and phrases that rob you of your power
and what to say instead
- Tips for saying no firmly but tactfully,
without causing anger or resentment
- Nonverbal communication: How to project confidence
and authority through your body language
- PRACTICE SESSION: Assertive responses for common workplace
Rapport By Strengthening Your Interpersonal Communication Skills
- 10 instant rapport-builders to help you connect with
every person you meet
- The secret to making others feel valued every time
you communicate with them
- Recognizing where communication breaks down and results
- How tos for giving sincere praise
- Conversation topics that are off-limits in professional
- Seemingly innocent remarks that may be considered sexist,
racist, ageist or otherwise offensive
- PRACTICE SESSION:Make small talk your success tool
IV. Active Listening:
Your Secret Weapon in Becoming a Stronger Communicator
- Understanding how excellent listening skills can double
your communication effectiveness
- The basics of active listening, step by step
- Zip your lip: The importance of remaining silent so
others have time to think and to express themselves
- How to respond so that reluctant speakers feel free
to open up to you
- 4 ways to keep the information flowing so you get the
feedback you need
- What are they not telling you? How to read body language
and nonverbal cues for important information
- PRACTICE SESSION: How to make sure youve correctly
understood what the speaker has just told you
to Persuade and Influence
- The importance of communicating a win-win approach:
Why aggressive tactics are sure to backfire
- 12 effective ways to win over others to your way of
- Tips for presenting your ideas with confidence and
- How to persuade others step by step with a concise
sound bite message
- What to say to help you gain buy-in for your ideas
- Negotiation strategies for turning nos around
- PRACTICE SESSION: Win over hard-to-convince adversaries
Tos for Handling Special Situations in Communication
- In meetings: Communication tips that will make you
- With the boss: Dos and donts for communicating
effectively with a supervisor
- Giving directions: Steps for giving directions that
cant be misunderstood
- Business lunches: Tips for steering the conversation
back toward business
- Networking: Communication strategies for making networking
- Telephone: 5 techniques that will improve your communication
over the phone
- E-Mail: 10 how tos for communicating
more effectively through e-mail
- PRACTICE SESSION: The professional way to make introductions
Professionally When the Pressure Is On
- How to verbally counteract the weapons difficult people
- EASY scripts you can use to get through a variety of
- Basics for giving constructive feedback in a way that
wont arouse anger or cause defensiveness
- When youre verbally confronted: How to face it
calmly, confidently and head-on
- Communication techniques for defusing a potentially
- Tips for keeping your voice calm and steady when you
feel your emotions may get the better of you
- How to get your foot out of your mouth when youve
just said something you regret
- PRACTICE SESSION: How to give bad news
Continuing education credits may be recognized by your professional
board. Contact your own board to find out what's required.
Bring this seminar to your site!
For information about bringing a course to your site please call 919-480-2550 or email the registry at
If this course or the dates/locations below do not have what you are looking for, then click here and we will find it for you right away. It will save you a lot of time and energy finding it yourself.
PLEASE BE SURE TO STATE VIP CODE "919-120001-000 -- Training Registry".