a division of Rockhurst University Continuing Education Center
This seminar is offered onsite only. The descriptions and outlines specified below are examples of the topics covered in this seminar. Actual seminar content will depend on your organization's needs. Of course, we customize the seminar's content to meet the specific needs of your organization.
The Better Business Writing Workshop
A One-Day Seminar
Meeting Code: PQW
Writing clearly and concisely is one
of the greatest assets you can have in business today. That is why we
developed this seminar to help you fine-tune your writing ability. It's
designed to benefit both the experienced writer, who wants to gain an
additional edge in business - and the inexperienced writer who lacks confidence
in his or her ability to write effectively.
Bad writers come in all forms. The "Showoff" rambles on and
on, trying to impress you with his knowledge and vocabulary. He turns
what should be a two-paragraph memo into a two-page dissertation. Unfortunately,
his point, if he had one, is buried.
Or, there's the "Wallflower" who lacks self-confidence in her
writing. In order to avoid mistakes, she writes in a bare-bones style
with a minimum number of words. Unfortunately, her point usually suffers
from a lack of supporting information.
Either way, their memos, letters and reports get skimmed by the reader
and filed - usually in the trash or the bottom of the desk drawer - never
to be seen again.
Writers with confidence in their writing skills get their message out
quickly, in a no-nonsense manner, that's not only easier to read - but
it's easier to write. They get noticed. They get results. With the skills
you'll learn at this seminar, you'll produce dramatically better business
correspondence the moment you get back to work.
You Will Benefit ...
- The #1 mistake to avoid when writing any business correspondence
- Transitional phrases that guide the reader to the conclusion
- Proofreading for error-free correspondence
You Will Cover ...
- Determining when a written document is the best way
to communicate (and when it's not)
- 5 essential considerations before you put pen to paper
or fingers to keyboard
- Accurately identify the audience you're writing to
for maximum impact
- Tactics you can use to clarify your thoughts when you're
writing under a fast-approaching deadline
- How to identify your own natural writing style to take
advantage of your strengths
Strategies For Cutting Your Writing Time By 25 Percent
- Using procrastination-busters that'll get you started
- Idea generators that help break through writers' block
- Creating a detailed rough draft in minutes
- Cutting the length of a memo in half while doubling
- Organizing a report that everyone can understand -
Fine-Tune Your Writing Style
- Why you shouldn't become dependent on writing software
- Easy-to-use strategies that help you make your point
quickly and concisely
- 4 persuasion techniques that will strengthen every
letter, memo or proposal
- Common image-killing grammatical mistakes that you
may have forgotten
Make Your Writing Speak Volumes For You
- The 1 technique you can use in your writing that will
impress your boss
- How to select the proper tone for your correspondence
- Using the "Altitude Test" to determine your
document's level of readability
- Editing techniques that guarantee clarity and conciseness
in everything you write
Should Attend ...
For anyone wishing to improve their writing skills.
Bring this seminar to your site!
For information about bringing a course to your site please call 919-480-2550 or email the registry at
If this course or the dates/locations below do not have what you are looking for, then click here and we will find it for you right away. It will save you a lot of time and energy finding it yourself.
Please mention the meeting code specified above and BE SURE TO STATE PRIORITY CODE "919-120001-000 -- Training Registry".