Padgett Thompson & National Seminars Group
a division of Rockhurst University Continuing Education Center
How To Deal With Unacceptable Employee Behavior
A One-Day Seminar For Managers And Supervisors
A One-Day Seminar
Meeting Code: KCD
If you've ever had to discipline an
employee for problems like insubordination or excessive absenteeism, or
had to counsel an employee for performance problems like missed deadlines
or careless mistakes, you've probably run up against nagging dilemmas
that aren't easily solved.
Unfortunately, there's no formula you can use to make counseling and discipline
an easy task. But attend this seminar and you'll master disciplinary methods
that let you effectively resolve performance and behavior problems --
without causing resentment.
If you're a manager who wants to feel more comfortable when confronting
inappropriate employee behavior, this seminar is for you. Attend, and
you'll learn how to turn around poor performance ... conduct more effective
discipline sessions ... and resolve difficult situations quickly so everyone
involved can get back to work.
You Will Benefit ...
- Expertly diffuse potentially explosive situations
- Learn what you can and can't do legally as a manager
- Increase morale and productivity in your department
- Make your staff feel valued and respected
- Significantly decrease your disciplinary headaches
You Will Cover ...
How To Conduct An Effective Discipline Session
- The first and most important step in formal discipline
- 3 things to say when an employee blames the problem
- Are your disciplinary procedures legally secure? How
to determine if they are
- When and how to document unacceptable employee behavior
that disrupts your office
- 5 employee actions that call for immediate termination
- 3 words you should never use in a verbal warning
- Should discipline ever include a decrease in pay? Here's
what the experts say
- How "employee privacy" issues can affect your disciplinary
- What you must know about disciplining employees for
breaking "unwritten" rules
- How to open a discipline session so you're calm and
confidently in control from the get-go
- When you don't like an employee's after-hours behavior
-- what can you do?
- 1 time when the failure to discipline could land you
in legal hot water
- Ways to use discipline as your most effective employee
How To Improve Employee Performance
- Counseling contract employees -- why, when and how
you should do it
- How to feel more comfortable with tears, anger and
other employee emotions
- "Corridor Confrontation" ... what it is and how to
avoid its damaging effects
- How to save face when someone criticizes you in front
of your employees
- How to overcome the 2 reasons some managers hesitate
to counsel older employees
- The "E.C.S." approach to avoiding buildups that can
result in blowups
- The 1 time you may want to put off confronting employees
- What it can mean if employees DON'T get defensive during
a counseling session
How To Confidently Counsel And Discipline
- 2 times you should allow employees to criticize your
- How to respond when an employee claims "you're
not being fair"
- The wisest way to proceed when you've inherited another
manager's discipline problem
- 3 damaging discipline mistakes managers make and how
you can sidestep each
- Are you all bark and no bite? Steps for following through
on every warning
- How some managers encourage problem behavior without
- 4 proven styles of disciplining and how to tell which
is right for you
- How to mentally prepare for a discipline session you're
- 3 ways to tell if you're getting the real story from
- How to prevent a counseling session from turning into
a gripe session
- How to avoid the "sergeant syndrome" when
you have to enforce company policy
For managers and supervisors who are interested in a concise
course concentrating on disciplinary methods that effectively resolve
performance and behavior problems without causing resentment.
Bring a seminar to your site! For information about bringing a course to your site please call 919-480-2550 or email the registry at
If this course or the dates/locations below do not have what you are looking for, then click here and we will find it for you right away. It will save you a lot of time and energy finding it yourself.
** Register Online**
Select date/location from list box below (Use side arrow to scroll). Complete form and click on 'Send'
You will receive e-mail confirmation soon. If you are not paying via credit card, you will receive an invoice with payment instructions.
If you cannot attend a workshop for which you are registered, you may send a substitute or receive a credit memo toward a future workshop. If you cancel your registration up to five business days before the workshop, your registration fee will be refunded less a $10 enrollment charge.
You can also register by emailing your registration information to us at
or calling us at 919-480-2550.
Please mention the meeting number specified above and BE SURE TO STATE VIP CODE "919-120001-000 -- Training Registry".